For many Christians prayer does not come easy. Jesus taught us to pray in Matt 6: 9-13. Below are a few guidelines based on the prayer that Jesus taught us. Use these guidelines to assist you to grow in your prayer life. This prayer contains six elements, they are:
5. SPIRITUAL WARFARE
6. PRAISE AND WORSHIP
(1) After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
(2) Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
(3) Give us this day our daily bread.
(4) And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
(5) And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
“Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name”.
1. Meditate on the fact that you can approach God directly as a result of that which Jesus did for us on the cross of Calvary.
2. Praise God that we can now address Him as “Abba Father” and that His name is exalted above every other name.
3. Praise God for who He is in your life.
4. Below are eight names of God as well as the scripture reference for each. These also provide prayer references when we lift up the name of God. More names are provided in the links below.
• The Lord will provide (Gen 22:14)
• Jesus is my provider (Gal 3: 13 and Rom 8:1-2)
• Prayer: “Father You are Jehovah-Jireh my Provider. I praise Your name that because Jesus has become my provision and my source and that I am not subject to the curse of the law and sin. I praise You that Jesus is my source of blessing and my success.
• The Lord that heals (Exo 15:26)
• Jesus is my healer (1 Pet 2:24)
• Prayer: Father You are Jehovah-Rophe the God who heals. I praise Your name that you are the God who heals the broken hearted as well as my body and my mind. I praise You that You make me whole again.
• The Lord is my Banner (Isa 11:10 and Rom 1:3)
• Prayer: Father You are Jehovah-Nissi my banner. I praise you that Jesus is the standard on which I focus to lead me and to guide me every day. The one who will lead me safely home.
• The Lord who sanctifies (Lev 20:8)
• Jesus my sanctifier (1 Kor 6:11 and 1 Tes 5:23)
• Prayer: Father you are Jehovah-M’Kaddesh the God who sanctifies me. I stand before you and ask that you conform me into the image of Your Son. I praise You that Your Son is working in my life and has already broken the power of sin.
• The Lord is Peace (Judges 6:24)
• Jesus is my Peace (Col 1: 19-20)
• Prayer: Father You are Jehovah-Shalom my peace. I praise You that Jesus made peace possible by the shedding of His blood on the cross, and through that I have been reconciled with You. Now I can have the peace that surpasses all understanding in my life.
• The Lord is my Shepherd (Ps 23)
• Jesus is my Shepherd (John 10:11 and Heb 13:20)
• Prayer: Father you are Jehovah-Rohi my Shepherd. I praise you that Jesus became my Shepherd and that He feeds me, he leads me, he cares for me and He protects me. I thank you that I now do not have to fear anymore.
• The Lord is my righteousness (Jer 23: 5-6)
• Jesus is my Righteousness (2 Cor 5:21 and Rom 5: 17-19)
• Prayer: Father You are Jehovah-Tisidkenu my righteousness. I praise you that I now stand before you forgiven because of the blood of Jesus. Thank you Lord that I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus.
• The Lord is There (Ezek 48:35)
• Jesus is my presence (Heb 13:5 and Eph 2: 19-22 and Gal 2: 20)
• Prayer: Father You are Jehovah-Shammah, I praise you that you are there and have filled me with your overflowing presence. I praise you for the presence of Jesus in my life, now I know that you will never leave me nor forsake me.
Under the element of Praise you can make declarations of faith of who God is in your life.
“Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven”
1. Make a declaration of faith. “Come Kingdom of God, Will of God be done” (Read Rom 14:17 very carefully)
2. Major areas of our lives that the declaration applies to:
a. Your Church
i. The Pastors
ii. Small Group leaders.
iii. Various ministries. (Worship, Seniors, Men, Woman, Fusion, J-zone, etc)
iv. Office personnel.
v. Called Ones.
vi. Projects and their leaders.
vii. Cell leaders and cell members.
viii. The Harvest.
b. Your Family
i. Your Spouse
ii. Your Children
iii. Other family members.
i. Ensure that you are in right standing with God.
ii. Ask Jesus to be seated on the throne of your life and to rule over every area of your life viz; your work, your finances, health, etc.
iii. Ask God for strength through the Holy Spirit to help you develop a consistent daily prayer time.
iv. Seek the face of God, ask for ears to hear his voice and eyes to see what is God’s perfect will for your life.
v. Ask that God will use you effectively within the body of Christ.
d. Your Workplace
i. Your employer and colleagues.
ii. That God will give you wisdom and insight.
iii. To do your work as if for God directly.
e. Our Nation
i. Our president and cabinet ministers.
ii. Our City, our leaders and people in places of authority.
iii. For a climate of Spiritual authority.
iv. Our environment.
v. That revival will take place.
“Give us this day our daily bread”
1. Trust the Lord for provion of all your daily needs.
a. Base all your requests on spiritual promises (Luk 6:38 and Phil 4:19 and James 4: 1-3).
b. Study God’s Word and understand His will and that which has already been proclaimed over your life. (1 Joh 5:14).
2. Be Specific
a. Daily bring your specific prayers requests before God (Luk 11: 5-6)
b. Bring your needs before Him and stop worrying.
3. Be Tenacious
a. Persevere in your requests. (Luk 18: 1-8 and Heb 11:6)
b. Praise God because He is Jehovah-Jireh our provider.
“And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors”
1. Ask God to forgive you
a. Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal areas in your life that are not pleasing to Him.
b. Confess your sin.
c. Praise God that HE is Jehovah-M’Kaddesh the God who sanctifies.
2. Forgive as often as you want to be forgiven.
a. Acknowledge your great debt of sin that God has already forgiven you.
b. Forgive others that have wronged you and leave it up to the Lord to deal with them.
c. Pray for those who are constantly falling into the trap of sin.
d. Make a choice to repay good for evil by the power of the Holy Spirit working within you.
e. Make Matt 5:44 a declaration of faith.
f. Pray that you will experience the fruit of the Spirit in your life. (Gal 5: 22-23)
“And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil”
1. Clothe yourself with the full armour of God. (Eph 6: 10-18) put each piece on with purpose and deliberation.
2. Build a hedge of protection. (Ps 91: 2, 9,14)
PRAISE AND WORSHIP
“For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.”
1. The Kingdom
a. Luk 12: 32 ….To give you the kingdom.
b. Col 1: 12-14 …We are partakers of the kingdom.
c. 2 Tim 4:18 …Brought to the heavenly kingdom.
2. Declaration: I am delivered from every evil work and have been brought safely to His kingdom.
Amen ……which means “So shall it be!”